People who contemplate consulting a clinical psychologist feel anxious whether they can trust and rely upon their psychologist and to what extent will the psychological treatment benefit them. For some this anxiety is so intense that they suffer in silence and never dare to seek help. People having a psychological problem often ponder over the question that how to find best clinical psychologist? No matter what you do, it is unlikely that these anxieties would vanish completely but a well-informed decision can go a long way in helping you find the best clinical psychologist. This question does not have a simple answer but following criteria if kept in mind can help you to find the clinical psychologist who is best for you:
1) Relationship: Just like any other relationship, psychological work also requires that both the client and clinical psychologist feel a certain bond, warmth and comfort with each other. If you find your psychologist to be warm, caring, sensitive there is a greater chance that you would make progress than if you find him or her to be cold, distant and critical.
2) Training and Experience: Rigorous training and experience are must for becoming the best clinical psychologist. This is especially true in India where many people practice clinical psychology, counseling and psychotherapy without adequate training and experience. Therefore, feel free to inquire whether your clinical psychologist is adequately trained, experienced and holds a license to practice. Click here psychologists in london for more details.
3) Balance between Professional Rules and Humane Touch: The best clinical psychologist is someone who would follow and adhere to a professional code of conduct; he or she would never become a friend or a real person in your life. However, at the same time he or she will be extremely sensitive in case you experience such feelings.
4) Information: The best clinical psychologist will listen to and answer all your queries related to the treatment no matter how silly or absurd they may sound. Often, clinical psychologists follow different approaches in understanding and treating the concerns of their clients. These include psychoanalysis, cognitive-behavior therapy, hypnotherapy, gestalt therapy, behavior therapy, family therapy, couples and marital therapy and counseling. Some practitioners also tend to use a combination of one or more approaches. The best clinical psychologist will be upfront in telling you the perspective and approach he or she follows. He or she would also feel comfortable in giving you information about alternative treatments and practitioners.
5) Reliability: The best clinical psychologist is someone who is reliable, if he or she sets up a time to see you, under normal circumstances they will be present and available to attend to you in that time.